The Dojo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Sakurasou no pet na kanojo 2012
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am by xlucasso

» Manga Kurogane (KEZAWA Haruto)
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 am by xlucasso

» League Of Legends
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 2:11 pm by Crimson-King

» Code: Breaker Autumn 2012
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 pm by Crimson-King

» Zetsuen no Tempest Autumn 2012
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 pm by xlucasso

» CS:GO GIVE AWAY
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:14 am by Crimson-King

» Nexuiz give away
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 am by Crimson-King

» Website to look a replica's and real katana's enjoy.
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm by Crimson-King

» Gundam 00 and season 2 Autumn 2007 anime
Learning Korean [Alphabet] I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 4:53 pm by xlucasso

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 41 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 am
Poll
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Learning Korean [Alphabet]

Go down

Learning Korean [Alphabet] Empty Learning Korean [Alphabet]

Post  Michael. Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:13 pm

The Korean alphabet, also known as Hangul consists of 24 letters. In which, 14 of those letters are consonants, while the other 10 are vowels. But there are also 5 double consonants and 11 compound/complex vowels or diphthongs. So technically, there are 40 letters in the Korean alphabet.

I'll go into further information about the double consonants and the compound/complex vowels.

First, we'll learn about the consonants and vowels. Let's get into it

In this tutorial, I will be using the initial sound and the final sound. In every korean word there has to be a syllable, just like in the English language. For example, the word father in english. There are 2 syllables in the word father. (Fa-Ther)
It's just like with the Korean language.

The initial sound is what it will sound like if it is placed first in the syllable. And the final sound is just the opposite, so what it would sound like if it was placed last in the syllable. For example, like the word before, father. The initial sound would be "Fa" and the final sound would be "Ther". So basically, initial sound and final sound is where the letters are placed in that syllable.

Okay, now let's really get started. Starting with the consonants first.
Consonants:

Initial - G/K
Final - K

Initial - N
Final - N

Initial - D
Final - T

Initial - R
Final - L

Initial - M
Final - M

Initial - B
Final - P

Initial - S
Final - S

Initial - Just a indicator that indicates that a syllable is going to start with a vowel. Example: ㅇㅏ
Final - NG

Initial - J
Final - J

Initial - CH
Final - CH

Initial - K
Final - K

Initial - T
Final - T

Initial - P
Final - P

Initial - H
Final - H

And that is all the consonants. Next we'll be moving onto vowels. We won't be using final sound for this one because it's not needed.
Vowels:

Initial - A

Initial -YA

Initial - EO

Initial - YEO

Initial - O

Initial - YO

Initial - U

Initial - YU

Initial - I (ee)

Initial - EU or g(oo)d

That is the basic vowels in Hangul.

Next we'll move onto diphtongs (compound/complex vowels) These letters are a lot more complex than the other letters in the Korean alphabet. Since these are still vowels, we still must use the "ㅇ" in front of each letter.
Compound/complex vowels:

ㅇㅐ
Initial - AE

ㅇㅔ
Initial - E or s(e)t

ㅇㅒ
Initial - YAE

ㅇㅖ
Initial - YE or (ye)t

Starting from now, I won't be using "ㅇ" only because I can't. But if anyone wants to know, the "ㅇ" should be on the top left of the syllable. Right before the vowel.

Initial - UI

Initial - wae or (wai)t

Initial - WAH

Initial - WAE

Initial - WE

Initial - WEO or (wo)n

Initial - WEH or (we)t

Those are the 11 diphthongs (complex/compound vowels)
We'll move straight into the 5 double consonants. These are very basic, so you won't have any trouble pronouncing them.

Double Consonants:

Initial - GG
Final - K

Initial - DD
Final - T

Initial - BB
Final - PP

Initial - SS
Final - SS

Initial - JJ
Final - JJ

Do you notice anything about these double consonants ? Some of these double consonants are just 2 consonants put together. With basic consonants, they have a lighter sound when pronouncing them. Double consonants have a more deeper sound than the basic consonants. For example: ㄲ would sound like the "G" from got.

There are a few important rules when writing/typing Korean.
In every Korean syllable, it has to start with a consonant, that makes it easy to identify the beginning and end of each syllable. But what about syllables that start with a vowel. Just like from above, you use "ㅇ" right before the vowel. This consonant when before the vowel, isn't pronounced as anything. Only the vowel is pronounced in the syllable. If it is placed first. "ㅇ" is only pronounced as "NG" when it is placed last in the syllable.

It is possible for syllables to end in a consonant. This usually occurs when a mix of two consonants are in the middle of a word. One consonant then forms the end of one syllable and the other forms the beginning of the next syllable. In most cases, when trying to write two consonants and a vowel together, you write the first consonant and the vowel together, then put the final consonant below the two.

When "ㅅ" is followed directly by "ㅣ", it will be pronounced as "shi" instead of "si". Example: ㄷㅏ ㅅㅣ (again) would be Da-Shi.

When ㄱ, ㄷ, ㄹ, ㅂ are found directly before a vowel, they are pronounced/romanised as G, D, R and B.
When ㄱ, ㄷ, ㄹ, ㅂ are found directly before a consonant, they are pronounced/romanised as K, T, L and P.

That is almost everything about the Korean alphabet. There might be another lesson of learning Korean, if I decide to make another one and not be lazy Smile.

Michael.
Michael.
Admin

Back to top Go down